Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 22 years old and my mom threatened to call the cops on me last night while I was hanging out with a friend. I really want to move out and I cant while my parents threatens me with their lawyer and the police. What can/should do?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      We are glad that you reached out to us for help. This sound like a stressful situation to be in, it is never good to have your parents threaten you like that.
      Something to consider is because you are over the age of majority in all states you could just move out and live on your own. Your parents shouldn’t be able to have any legal authority over you and thus calling the police wouldn’t do anything for them. If you have any other concerns or questions we would be happy to talk to you at 1-800-786-2929.
      Thanks for reaching out,
      NRS

• Hello my name is micaela I want to leave without their consent house I am from Virginia I am 20 years my mom told my aunt that if she helps or if I am going with her she is going to call the police because she thinks that when you are 21 years you are adult right now my aunt is worried what can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Micaela, Thanks for reaching out! Sounds like you are in a stressful situation. In the state of Virginia you are considered an adult at 18 years old. We are not legal experts but if mom were to contact the police they would most likely not be required to take you home. Also since you are not a minor, your aunt would not be charged for harboring a runaway if you chose to leave. If you have any other questions, please let us know. You can reach us by phone at 800-786-2929, online at www.1800RUNAWAY.com or by emailing us at [email protected]. Best of luck!

• I’m a few years younger than 18 and want to move to another country when I turn 18

I’m kind of young but I plan to move to another country to escape my religion and parents. I have people that want to leave with me but I need a plan so that I don’t ever have to go back to my parents or to my religion. I don’t plan to move away till then but I want to be prepared. I’m learning the language of that country already and I’m also saving up but what else can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out hopefully we can help you out. Planning to move out of the country can require a lot of work, especially if you plan on moving there permanently. It’s great that you are learning the language. Finding a job can also help so you can be able to support yourself. Looking into what type of living arrangements you and your friends want can also be a good plan. Depending on where you want to go they might have restrictions on what you can and can’t do based on your age so researching their laws and policies can be helpful. If you haven’t already you can also look into how to get a passport. Budgeting and planning are very important whenever you decide to move and having a backup plan just in case things do go as planned is very important so you can be sure you can stay safe. Hope this was helpful. If you need any other resources you can always give us a call at 1-800-runawawy or chat with us anytime.

Wish you the best of luck and safe travels.

-NRS

• So I am 18 I live in New York where I am legally an adult. And I wanna move back home to Alabama with my boyfriend where you are Considered a adult at 19. Could my parents still call the cops and get me sent back home ?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out to NRS! We are not legal experts, but we can share what we do know about runaway laws. In general, when someone who is considered a minor leaves home without their parents’ permission, their parent has the right to file a runaway report. Even though the age of majority in Alabama is 19, the police in New York would most likely not take a runaway report since you are a legal adult. To ease your mind, you can always call out to your local police department’s non-emergency number to ask about their runaway protocol. We can also help you do this if you feel uncomfortable calling yourself.

We are available 24/7 if you have any other concerns or you would like to talk more about your situation. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Best of Luck,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X