Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 22 years old and my mom threatened to call the cops on me last night while I was hanging out with a friend. I really want to move out and I cant while my parents threatens me with their lawyer and the police. What can/should do?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      We are glad that you reached out to us for help. This sound like a stressful situation to be in, it is never good to have your parents threaten you like that.
      Something to consider is because you are over the age of majority in all states you could just move out and live on your own. Your parents shouldn’t be able to have any legal authority over you and thus calling the police wouldn’t do anything for them. If you have any other concerns or questions we would be happy to talk to you at 1-800-786-2929.
      Thanks for reaching out,
      NRS

• Hello my name is micaela I want to leave without their consent house I am from Virginia I am 20 years my mom told my aunt that if she helps or if I am going with her she is going to call the police because she thinks that when you are 21 years you are adult right now my aunt is worried what can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Micaela, Thanks for reaching out! Sounds like you are in a stressful situation. In the state of Virginia you are considered an adult at 18 years old. We are not legal experts but if mom were to contact the police they would most likely not be required to take you home. Also since you are not a minor, your aunt would not be charged for harboring a runaway if you chose to leave. If you have any other questions, please let us know. You can reach us by phone at 800-786-2929, online at www.1800RUNAWAY.com or by emailing us at [email protected]. Best of luck!

• I’m a few years younger than 18 and want to move to another country when I turn 18

I’m kind of young but I plan to move to another country to escape my religion and parents. I have people that want to leave with me but I need a plan so that I don’t ever have to go back to my parents or to my religion. I don’t plan to move away till then but I want to be prepared. I’m learning the language of that country already and I’m also saving up but what else can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out hopefully we can help you out. Planning to move out of the country can require a lot of work, especially if you plan on moving there permanently. It’s great that you are learning the language. Finding a job can also help so you can be able to support yourself. Looking into what type of living arrangements you and your friends want can also be a good plan. Depending on where you want to go they might have restrictions on what you can and can’t do based on your age so researching their laws and policies can be helpful. If you haven’t already you can also look into how to get a passport. Budgeting and planning are very important whenever you decide to move and having a backup plan just in case things do go as planned is very important so you can be sure you can stay safe. Hope this was helpful. If you need any other resources you can always give us a call at 1-800-runawawy or chat with us anytime.

Wish you the best of luck and safe travels.

-NRS

• So I am 18 I live in New York where I am legally an adult. And I wanna move back home to Alabama with my boyfriend where you are Considered a adult at 19. Could my parents still call the cops and get me sent back home ?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out to NRS! We are not legal experts, but we can share what we do know about runaway laws. In general, when someone who is considered a minor leaves home without their parents’ permission, their parent has the right to file a runaway report. Even though the age of majority in Alabama is 19, the police in New York would most likely not take a runaway report since you are a legal adult. To ease your mind, you can always call out to your local police department’s non-emergency number to ask about their runaway protocol. We can also help you do this if you feel uncomfortable calling yourself.

We are available 24/7 if you have any other concerns or you would like to talk more about your situation. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Best of Luck,
      NRS

• I’m 18 I have struggled with anxiety and depression for a long time and I finally have been able to get it under control and get off my medication. I’ve never really had friends and now that I am graduated I wanna start a relationship and have friends from people I met offline that I have met in person just for a few min of sneaking around my parents and they come to my work to say hi so that I’m meeting people safely. My parent won’t even let me go see a family member without me having to ask and them giving me a time to be home where I live in PA so I don’t think I should have to ask. I don’t know if I am allowed to just get up and leave to go hang out with someone and with whoever I want. That’s all I’m asking to do is hang out with someone, but to them I’m not allowed too. I asked to hangout with someone and my dad threatened to call the cops on me and him put me in a mental hospital if I tried again and took my phone that I paid for with my money that I earned from work and it’s starting to make me so depressed I’m crying every single day so angry and frustrated and so many thoughts that aren’t the best but would never happen but I’m to my breaking point i don’t know what to do I don’t have anyone to turn too and I’ve talked to so many adults about it and they just listen and don’t say nothing and it frustrates me even more ! Like can i just leave at any time to hang out with someone and return home at any time

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

That sounds like a lot to be going through, so it was really brave of you to reach out today. It’s totally understandable that you’d want more freedom, and it can be really frustrating to feel so restricted. Since you are 18, you can legally leave home without your parents’ consent, but it does also mean that they no longer have a legal responsibility to let you live at home. Because of that, you may want to consider whether they would still allow you to live at home if you made choices that they weren’t okay with.

It’s so hard to be in a situation that is making you so unhappy, so if it ever gets to the point that you feel like you need to talk to someone about it, there are some mental health hotlines available to you. You can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, even if you’re not feeling suicidal. They have trained counselors who can talk with you and connect you with services in your area. You can also call SAMHSA, the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration at 1-800-662-HELP (1-800-662-4357) or NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1-800-950-NAMI (1-800-950-6264). Any of these hotlines would be able to connect you with someone to talk to about the depression that you’re feeling.

It sounds like you’re going through a lot right now, so if you ever just want to talk about your options, or need support with any of it, we’re here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We’re always here to listen.

• i need help! i turn 16 on august 12th of 2020. in alabama you can legally leave at 16. the age of majority is 19 unless you get emancipated. my parents fight a lot and they yell at me and take it out on me and it makes me hate them. i need a way out. i need to know what id use to survive, if i can legally keep my car, if i have to have their consent to get emancipated, and i need to know if the police will come after me if i leave without consent. i hate them. help me

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out to NRS and posting on our forum today. It sounds like home is a very stressful environment for you right now and you are looking for some options. We are glad you reached out for help and that you are looking for support and thinking ahead.
      It seems like you have already looked into some information. We are not legal experts, but we do have experience with how things work generally for youth who leave home. Generally, if you leave your home without parents' permission before the state's legal age (19 in AL), your parents do have the option of filing a runaway report with police. Some police departments do actively go out and look for youth, while others simply have a list of runaways and if you come into contact with them (such as through a traffic ticket or something), they may see you are a runaway and return you home. Sometimes they are more lenient than others. It depends on the department and can even vary officer to officer. One option you have is to look up your local non-emergency police number at usacops.com and call asking anonymously how they handle runaway situations: if they look actively or not.

Again, we are not legal experts, but from what we understand about emancipation in AL is that a person must be at least 18 to file a petition with the court and ask to be emancipated. You must be able to fully support yourself (financially, emotionally, educationally, etc.) As far as keeping your car, generally, property belongs to whomever the item was purchased by or whose name the title is in. You may take a look at whose name your car is in (mom, dad, you).

Something you may also consider if you do leave is where you would live. We want you to remain safe and off the streets so making a plan may be beneficial. We are glad you reached out. Home sounds very stressful for sure and we are here to support you!
      We are 24/7 online via our live chat (through the link at the top of this website page) and at 1-800-786-2929. Call or chat anytime and we can talk directly about some options and work on making a plan for you as to what is best and safest in your situation.

Best of luck and thanks again for posting! It takes a lot of courage to ask for help!

• Hi I'm 19 an an I'm moving out BC I don't want to be under my parents roof anymore so if they called the cops could they do anything

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there -

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. Hopefully we can help you out during your time of need.

Like we tell a lot of our callers and/or people that email us, the laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. Now we aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. In most states, if you are 18 years old or older, you are considered an adult (expect Alabama [19] and Mississippi [21]) . Now considering the information above, since you are now 19 years old, depending on where you are, you would be considered a legal adult and can’t be forced home and your parents can’t file a runaway report with the police as leaving home won't be considered "running away". Simply just leaving home to live in another location.

Now if you haven’t told them where you are or have cut all communication with your parents, they can call the police still but to file a missing person’s report rather than a runaway report. It wouldn’t affect you at all though because they don’t normally come up on background checks. You can always go to the non-emergency police and tell them that you aren’t missing. Again, as an adult, you have the right to decide where you live and your parents cannot force you to do anything.

Hope that this helped and best of luck!

• I wanna move with my girlfriend in Arkansas but my dad told me that I need to graduate but I don't wanna graduate where I live can I moved with her at age 18 will I get in trouble by the law for leaving
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 09-16-2019, 11:18 AM. Reason: identifying info

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re ready to live with your girlfriend. We’re not legal experts, but in general, once you turn 18, you are considered an adult in Arkansas, which means you’re free to make your own decisions and can leave home without your father’s permission.
      You mentioned that you’re interested in moving in with your girlfriend before you graduate. Moving out is a big decision, and it may be helpful to think about a few things before making the leap. Can I afford the upfront expenses of moving? Typically, landlords require a security deposit or move in fee in addition to the first month’s rent. How will I be able to support myself financially afterwards? Will I have transportation? If you still want to graduate high school, you can reach out to your local school district to understand what is necessary to do so, or you can looking to obtaining your GED.

Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we can help you explore your options more in depth. We’re open 24/7 and are confidential.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X