Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you plan on leaving home before your 18th birthday. We are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure whether your dad could stop you from leaving by calling the authorities. Since you plan on leaving so close to your 18th birthday, the authorities may not stop you from leaving. One way to find out for sure would be to contact the local police through their non emergency number to ask them about their runaway policy. You could also try asking your dad if he would allow you to leave. Another option that you may want to consider is waiting until you turn 18 to leave home. We hope this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

Guest replied
    Im 17 and i plan on leaving the day before my 18th birthday. I leave by plane to go to another state. I live with my dad and i was curious if he can stop me from leaving by calling the authorities and/or stop me himself. He does not know i plan to leave.?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have left your parents’ house but they are still threatening to call report you as a runway to the police. We want you to know that we are not legal experts but in most states the age or majority is 18. (Nebraska 19, Alabama 20) This means that you are legally responsible for yourself and your parents/ guardians can no longer control what you do and where you go. On the other hand your parents/guardians are no longer required to provide you with food, shelter, or financial assistance anymore. We understand that becoming an adult is a big step and we want to make sure that you know that you are supported during this time. If you have any other questions that you think we could help you with please feel free to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929
    Best wishes,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 18 and I did not tell my parents that I was running away but I did not go home last night. I have told them before that I would leave when I was 18 but they never did believe me. I do not think that they would believe me until I am gone. I slept at a friends house. Can my parents make me live with them anymore? I have a job and I plan on enlisting in the army as soon as possible and now I am still going to high school. I plan on graduating and earning my diploma.

I just want to know that if there was anything that my parents can do to make them live with me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are not legal experts so we can only provide you with basic information. In most states, you can leave home at the age of 18 without your parent's permission. You would be considered as an adult so the police wouldn't bring you back home. However, some states have different ages of majority. You could search online to see what the age of majority is for your state. The website (sexetc.org) is a great website to find the age of majority for each state. We hope that this information helps, if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Guest replied
    Hi if i am 18 years old can i leave my mom house with out her calling the police will they bring me back there if i do leave

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for using our bulletin service.
    It’s great that you are looking into what rights you have as an 18 year old.

We here at NRS are not legal experts but we can speak generally about laws in most states.

In most states youth are of legal age at 18 (when you're considered an adult). That being said if you do live within one of these states where the majority age is 18 then you have the right to move out, the day you turn 18. If you need help finding out what age you are considered an adult in your state you can contact your local police department.

We hope that this has answered your question and if you have any more questions or concerns you can give us a call at 1-800-Runaway. We are available 24/7 and are completely confidential.

Guest replied
    Hi I'm wondering if I can move out on my birthday without my parents knowing and what would they do and I heard they can't do nothing it you are 18 and you move out they can't do nothing is that true
    Last edited by ccsmod10; 03-12-2018, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re having some pretty serious problems with your mother. It’s good that you’re looking out for yourself and asking for help—easier said than done.

In Florida, eighteen is the age of majority, which legally makes you an adult. You have the right to move out if you feel you can manage. You said you’ve got a job and a place to stay, so it sounds like you’ve taken the steps necessary to make it on your own. Your mom would not have the right to report you as a runaway or get the authorities involved—you’re not legally bound to her residence.

Now, if you feel you’re in physical danger from your mother, you have the right to report that. No one has the right to put hands on you, especially not your mom. As her daughter, you can report that to the police and call 911 at anytime. Unfortunately as an adult, you cannot report the abuse to CPS but you can leave at any time. We’re sorry to hear that you went through such physical abuse and hope that doesn’t happen again.

If you have any more questions or just want to talk, feel free to call us anytime, 24/7, at 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck to you and remember to take good care of yourself.

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 18 years old and live in Florida, I just explained to my mom that I am ready to leave and her response to this is that I am not allowed to leave. I assured her I have a place to stay as well as a job that I can support myself on with my roommate. She in turn threw all of my bags across my room and forced me to get into her car by dragging me by my arms and throat. How do I handle this situation?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out! It sounds like your family is mistreating you and you are looking for a way out. That makes sense and sounds really stressful! We are here to help! Glad you reached out!
    First, you did mention that your family is driving you toward suicide. It makes sense with the stress you are going through that it seems there is no other way out. But you do have options and we here at NRS care about you and your safety. If immediate safety is ever threatened, you can always call 911 and they will send someone out to do a wellness check on you and make sure you are safe. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is another option too: 1-800-273-8255, suicidepreventionlifeline.org. They are open and available 24/7 both by phone and online through a live chat system.
    We are not legal experts, but in most states, 18 is the legal age where one can leave their parents’ home without permission if they are able to appropriately care for themselves (except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]) so if you are considered an adult in your state and are able to take care of yourself independently, you have the right to leave. It sounds like your family is blocking you from doing that, which is unfair.
    If they are keeping you in the home against your will and you cannot leave, contacting a legal aid service may be helpful to find out what your rights are. We have a lot of resources in our database and are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 so call anytime and we can look some up for you!
    We are really glad you reached out today. That shows a lot of strength. We are here to support you and to listen. Our live chat is open every day 4:30-11:30pm Central Time on our website and our phone number is 24/7: 1-800-786-2929. Please reach out by phone or chat if we can help in any other way! Thanks again for posting today! Be safe and contact us anytime! You are strong for going through this and you are not alone!

Guest replied
    I am 19 years old.. And I had left my home 10 days before Nd my family members had filed a complaint against me.. And they have traced me here I am and forcefully blackmailing me again brought to home.. With all my belongings.. nd now I am at home from past 3 days and they are torturing me a lott.. They are not allowing me to go on job.. Instead not leaving out of the house.... Can I file a complaint against my family members for the help.. .Do cops will help me in these situation.. ?? Plzzz do help me I'm not feeling better here .. I will commit suicide because of them.. .Plz give me some solution

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

It sounds like you are finding the rules at your home to be pretty frustrating and limiting, and you are looking to find more independence. Since you’re 18 years old, you are a legal adult. From what you have told us, we can see no reason that the police force you back home. If they believe you are missing, the most they could do is put out a missing person’s report, but since you are an adult, you could not be forced back home as a result.

That said, even as a legal adult, leaving home can take some thought and planning. Do you know where you will go if you leave? How you will support yourself?

Please feel free to give us a call as we would be happy to brainstorm options and next steps. We can help you explore your options in terms of whether you want to leave, finding a safe place to stay, how you might support yourself, and anything else that is on your mind.

We wish you the best of luck.

Guest replied
    I’m 18. Can I leave my house, just to go out. My parents say i can’t because of mundane reasons, such as the state of my room. I need a break. I go to a community college 30 minutes away and my behavior and urge to just leave grows stronger all the time. It’s liberating to be able to leave for the day from everything going on. But most of the time I don’t want to come back. Of course my parents are very strict. My entire family knows this. I feel a lot of it had to do with my gender, female, and fear of something happening. But I also just want to get out.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you’ve reached your limit with all of the restrictions and issues at home.

There are also social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living (employment, school, etc.). They help youth work on their goals, while they're living there. If you’re interested in that option, don’t hesitate to call us and we can look for them in your area.

If you’d like more help brainstorming other options, we’re always here! We are open, 24/7 if you needed us to try to find more resources!

Best, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X