Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that has been going on and want you to know that you do deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your parents. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at (1-800-422-4453) or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made. They also would be able to talk to you about the possibility of having custody transferred to someone else.

It sounds like you are unsure of who to turn to but also are thinking of talking more to someone at school. You have the right to decide when enough is enough and to decide that you want something better for yourself. Talking to a guidance counselor or other adults in your life that you trust can help you walk through your options and figure out what would be best for you. We are also here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 if you ever need someone to talk to or need help identifying the people in your life that you can talk to. Don't hesitate to reach out to us or Child Help for help.

Stay safe,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I’m 17 and I’ll be 18 in December and I wanna move out. I live in Georgia.

I wanna move out and live with my boyfriend and his parents. Me and him are engaged but my pawpaw didn’t give us permission. After I’m 18 I still have school left and my parents told me that they would take me out of school, are they allowed to do that? My boyfriend parents do more for me then mine do. They don’t care about me they just use me as a maid. They don’t take me or pick me up from work. They don’t buy me clothes or shoes. I don’t have a tv or even a heater in my room. Is there anyway I can leave before I’m 18??

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. It seems you are dealing with quite an unfortunate situation. It seems like a difficult thing to go through to not feel supported and assisted by your parents. Your boyfriend’s parents, however, seem to care quite a bit and were very nice to allow you and your boyfriend to live with them. To answer your question, we are not legal experts here at NRS but by utilizing some resources we are able to inform that according to Georgia law, you are not considered an adult until 18. Due to this some of the decisions you make can still be affected by your parents. However, if your parents force you to not go to school, as a minor, and do not allow you to be able to get a proper education, there could be a risk of truancy. This means that parents who do not provide the basic needs for their children including access to education can face legal consequences. However, once you are 18 and legally an adult, your parents cannot legally take you out of school. Your current age could come into play with you moving as well. As mentioned before, at 17, in Georgia you are still considered a minor. However, if you would like to further explore your legal rights and get information about this matter, you can contact a legal service in Georgia. Hopefully, this information can be of assistance to you. If you would like to talk with us further feel free to give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live by visiting 1800runaway.org.

• Hi I live in Texas and am 18. My parents keep taking away my personal belongings and I want to leave but they threaten to call the police on me all the time. I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like I am suffocating, and its not the fact that I hate rules, I just think that they haven't been able to keep an open mind to me being bisexual. I am crying right now as I am writing this because I am so confused as to what to do. I dont have a job and I dont have a place to go, I dont have a friends house to run to I'm alone. Please, is there anything I can do or anywhere I could go?

Comment

• ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like things are really stressful at home right now. It is awful to feel like your parents are suffocating you because they can’t accept your sexuality. That is incredibly hurtful. Your parents are supposed to love and support you for the person you are rather than who they wish you would be. It’s understandable that you feel upset and that you’d want to get out of there. You absolutely deserve to be somewhere you feel loved and supported. Since you are 18, you are able to leave home without permission. A really great option could be a transitional living program (TLP) if there is one in your area. TLPs are programs that provide housing for up to 18 months and are designed to help young adults get on their feet financially and socially. If you need help finding a TLP near you, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.
        You mention that you’re bisexual. It can be really difficult when your family isn’t accepting of that. If you ever need support, there are some really excellent resources for the LGBT community. We’ve listed those below. We want you to know that you are not alone and while things are overwhelming right now, it will not always feel this way. You are perfect just the way you are and there are so many people out there who will love and support you.
        LGBT National Hotline: 1-800-843-4564
        LGBT National Youth Talkline: 1-800-246-7743
        Stay safe,
        NRS

• I live in North Carolina. My birthday is February 16th. I'll be 18 on that day. I've been having trouble at home with my mom and stepdad. We've been arguing a lot lately and I'm tired of the arguing all the time. I have a boyfriend that is about the be 21 and he still lives with his mother and son, we've been together 2 years now and he's also seen what I go through. He said he's sure his mom wouldn't mind me living with them. I love my mom don't get me wrong. I may just need a break but I'm tired of arguing and having disagreements all the time. I just wanted to know if its fine to leave when I turn 18 and there be no issues with the law coming to get me? Because my mom has said shell call the cops on me if I tried to leave.

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It must be difficult to be going through the current issues you are having with your mother and it is understandable to love your mother but feel you need a break from her. At 17, you are still considered a minor and depending on the leniency or strictness of authorities with certain laws being enforced in your state, there could be a number of outcomes if you decide to leave home and live elsewhere, such as with your boyfriend and his family, without your mother’s approval. At your age, you are still, by law, a minor and required to have an adult responsible for you as well as your whereabouts. In your case that would be your mother/parents. If you leave the home without your mother’s consent then, she is able to call authorities and potentially file a runaway report if you are refusing to come back home. There is the possibility of you having to return home or discuss an alternate living situation with your mother that she will consent to. There is also the option for your mother to file what is called harboring a runaway against the adults you are living with which basically means that there could be legal consequences for them, if your mother chooses to pursue that charge. It is a lengthy process so, due to your age and the fact that you will be 18 soon, it is likely that charge would be something your mother would pursue but, it is an option for her. Legally, it is not illegal to leave your home. You would not be arrested or charged with a crime for leaving your home. If that is something you feel like is best for you, it is always best to have a clear and secure plan. As always, we are here to assist and would love to speak with you further. Feel free to give us a call at our 24 hour hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with is live anytime by visiting our website 1800runaway.org.

• My fiance wants to move out of her mom's house can she in NY?

Comment

• Reply:My fiance wants to move

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your fiancé may want to leave home and you would like to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report and the person may be returned home. Also, those they stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X