No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ??

    I'm 13 years old, and I hate my life at home. My mom is very controlling and gets mad and every little thing I do. If I say something I get called a "brat". I also have problems with my father. I do not like him at all. My mom and dad fight a lot, and my mom has threatened to leave many times. We have left once when I was younger, and went and stayed with my Grandparents for a couple of days before returning home. And other worse things have happened. My father has punched a hole in the wall in my parents bedroom, and he once left, went to the local gas station, got a 6 pack of beer, came back and got drunk and started to cuss my mom out. Me and my sister have been witnesses to all of this, and I had wished that my parents would get a divorce because things just got so unbearable. I want to leave when I'm 16, and go stay with my Grandparents until I can find a place to stay. I will get a job, and save up. I am supposed to be getting an allowance next month, and I am planning to save that money until I turn 16 so I can be able to get a car. I am not happy like I used to be, and I have thought of suicide multiple times, and have been close to committing suicide. I do not know if this is enough to get emancipated, but I feel I just have to run away. Please help me, I do not know what to do!

  • #2
    Re: ??


    Thank you so much for contacting us today to tell us your story. You are very brave for writing to us for help. We are here for you. You are not alone. We imagine this is not an easy time for you. It sounds like you may benefit from some additional support. We are here to provide emotional support if you may need someone to talk to about these matters directly over the phone. We are confidential and anonymous but all of our liners are here to provide a listening ear to you during this difficult time.

    We can be reached 24 hours a day at 1800RUNAWAY (1800-786-2929). We want to help. However, we are not in a position to give you advice. We discuss options or alternatives to coping. How are you coping? Have you reached out to an adult such as a counselor or teacher lately?

    We wonder if you considered speaking with a professional or thought about calling people who are more experts when it comes to issues regarding suicide. One such option is called the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-230-TALK (8255). They are 24 hours and connects callers to the crisis center in the Lifeline network closest to their location. Who should call? Anyone who feels sad, hopeless, or suicidal, family and friends who are concerned about a loved one and anyone interested in mental health treatment and service referrals.

    We imagine the frustration that may come with feeling like you are constantly dealing with the same everyday. We hope that you can take some time to reach us to tell us more if you are not feeling safe at home. You do not deserve to be treated this way. It is not your fault. We tend to deal in fairness here and we are here to tell you that we want to continue to advocate for you. Have you thought about seeing a counselor? We provide resources for most things that you may need to empower yourself.

    Are you usually present when your parents fight? We are concerned for your safety. Have you talked to your father about how it makes you feel when he drinks? We imagine how scary it must be when he punched the wall and argues with your mother after getting drunk. Do you think the option is still there to leave with your mother? We also have resources that may help for this reason. We are not legal experts. We cannot guarantee you have the right to leave or get emancipated because of everything that is happening.

    What we know is that you have to be at a certain age and it comes down to a judge deciding whether it is in your best interest. It helps to prove if you are able to live away from home without your parents protesting it and showing you are capable of maintaining yourself socially and financially. You do have some things going with saving up and figuring work but it may able come down to your parents filing the petition for you in some cases. We can provide legal aid resources for you to call and explore this option in the future.

    How soon are you able to have a conversation with your grandparents about staying with them? It may help to cool off for a bit. You have said a lot today and we heard all of it loud and clear. You deserve to feel safe in your own home. We are also mandated reporters. We are able to report to child and family services matters pertaining to youth safety although we are confidential. It really comes down to what you want to see happen. If you are thinking about a proper plan for staying or leaving and ways to remain safe we are here to talk every day. We hope that is info was helpful in some way and that it finds you in good health. We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp