Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to go but something's holding me back

my mom is a single mom and iknow all she does for me is good and all but she thinks the right way to raise me is to scold me on EVERY single little thing i do wrong. she yells at me inf ront of my friends. she thinks thats okay, she doesn't understand my social life and when i try to tell her she's just like "what can I do? what can I do?" but what i'm tryign to tell her is that she can't do anything and only I can fix my social life problems myself, not her! i'm indian and looking cute and all is a must for me because without makeup or anything i look really bad. looking good for school is something that can fix my social life. in the mornings she wakes me up at 6:45 and my bus comes at 7:39. that's not enough time for me to get ready since i have to take a shower and get ready for school, but she thinks it's just enough time and then she yells at me when i can't get to the breakfast table fast en ough to eat. but i've alredy told her that i'm not hungry in the mornings because i have luncha t school at 10:45. that's really earlyfor me, so i dont need to drink milk in the mmorning. but she says i do and my grandparents start yelling at me too. i have milk at lunch in school and sometimes i dodrink my milk and then leave. All my mom cares about is my dance career, which gets on my nerves sometimes. when we're in the car aloen all she talks about is that :/ i wish i cuold ive at school with all of the drama that she doesn't get and all of my friends who actually care about me, well my mom probably does but she doesn't get how to care...she just like randomly starts hugging me and i'll be like mom, get off.so should i run away? or should i not? i'm really confused.

Re: I Want To Go But Something's Holding Me Back

"also..my sibling has anger issues, and so my family's always constintly fighting and fighting and arguing and yelling. i wake up to yelling and tears. i don't like this living enviornment."

Hello,

We are appreciative to hear from you a second time after your first post. We decided to include what you wrote in our response because we feel it proves how stress the environment has become for you lately. It is good to hear in your writing that you recognize some of the good things your mother is to you but that your life feels overwhelming with tension. It sounds like you simply want some peace of mind for once.

We imagine this is a very confusing time. We want to hear from you directly if you need added emotional support over the phone. All of our liners are trained the same way. We are confidential and anonymous. However, we are not in a position to tell you what to do. We cannot tell you to run away or not. We simply provide options for you to remain safe if you do not feel stable at home or alternatives to help you resolve your situation.

Have you considered seeking outside help such as a school counselor, teacher or local community leader capable of speaking with your mother? How about family therapy? We do have resources if you are interested in speaking with someone local to you. Another issue that seem to be bothering you is structuring a wake up time. What if you took control of that situation by using your allowance money to invest in an alarm clock or see whether there is an extra one around your house?

It sounds like your prepping for school is crucial and maybe others do not neccessarily understand that. It may give you some control over your own scheduling for the day. Do you want to amend your relationship with your mother? It sounds like you care for her but you may be in a weird place with all that is happening. We hope that we can continue to be of help. We are always here for you 24 hours a day at 1800RUNAWAY. Good luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

reply to your message

i dont think that i can get some alone time when my family isn't around to call that number. but yeah i have an alarm clock but my mom turns off sometimes or it doesnt work when i set it for an earlier time. i tried talking to my family and mom but all she says is "im doing this all what else do u expect and want from me" she gets over-emotional on me so i just back off. so she probably wouldnt agree to go to family therapy.she'd get mad if i asked her to do that anyway. she doesn't think that its possible for me to have "serious" problems. I don't know how i could runaway anyway,any tips?

Comment

i dont think i'm going to do this.but thanks anyway!!

thanks for all the help thanks so much!!but i dont thin i'm going to runaway.and if its possible could you please delete this threas?only if its possible.thanks again!

Comment

Re: I Want To Go But Something's Holding Me Back

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out again to clarify certain limitations you may have with reaching us. We empathize with how difficult it might be to reach out over the phone but we can also be reached toll free from any pay phone. If there is one in your area and if it is safe to call from there, we welcome it. Our priority is always your safety first. We are glad to hear you have considered some of the options we put forward earlier.

Do you feel your mother can be met with reason if you chose a specific time to speak to her? What is a good time to reach out to her in the day? It sounds like there is a lot of tension on all sides. If therapy is not something she may go for it is also an option for her to call us here directly. Do you think she wil call if she understood your concerns and will be curious to call were she to become aware of what we do?

As stated earlier we cannot offer tips to run away. We can help assess whether your plan is a good or safe one and also help with resources. We are always here if you decide to stay or leave. We like to at least know that you have our number to call us from anywhere to get a safe place to stay or to even call home or leave messages with your mother if you were to call us. We are always eager to work with you to reconnect with your family and to keep communication open.

Some things to consider in the mean time if you are thinking of running away are: How will I survive? Where will I stay? How will I get to school? Who may at risk for harboring Me? What are the rules of running away? The last question is something we know a bit about because it is not illegal to run away in most states. It is just a status offense. They police can return you home and have to use their discretion for what they do if you are found. We hope this has been a bit helpful as you continue to ponder your decision. We are always here for you. Stay safe.

-NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

okay i'll try to reachmy mom when she is most approachable andtry to give that number a call.thanks for you help!

Comment

Re: I want to go but something's holding me back

You are very welcome! Please remember that we are available 24/7 if you need any further assistance. You can give our crisis hotline a call, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), anytime you want to talk more about your situation or need additional resources. Take care.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
              x
              x
              Working...
              X