No announcement yet.


  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • options

    hi, i was just wondering what options there are for a 15 year old who cant live with her parents anymore. My mother is physically abusive and extremely controlling; she won't let me do anything without her express permission, and if she catches me doing anything she doesnt like, i usually get beat up for it and then end up sleeping on the streets. My father is almost never home, but when he is he defers to whatever she says and tells me that my mom is right, i misbehaved and need to be punished.

    I have tried in the past to tell people about my mom, for instance my school counselor, a social worker, and the police. All of the people contacted my mom, but she denied everything, and i guess she seemed so nice that they dropped any investigation and labeled me as a troubled teen who is looking for attention. Many of my friends know about it, and i end up staying with them a lot, but my mom always tries to track me down, and i dont want to put other people at risk.

    I would love to finish highschool where im living right now, but i dont know how much longer im going to be able to stand teachers asking why my arms and neck are bruised, but then not believing me when i tell them. I dont have any relatives that i know of, and when i looked into staying with a temporary guardian, it said i would need my moms permisision, which she would never give. I was wondering what options i have. I have stayed in shelters once or twice, but i know that they are obligated to contact my mom after 72 hours at maximum. What would happen if i went out of state and then didnt tell them where i live, just that i was abused and cant go back? Would they throw me out or report me? Are there any feasible options for someone like me that might be a better alternative to running away? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

  • #2
    Re: options


    Thank you for sharing your story with us. No one should be treated that way and your parents have no right to hit you. It's very unfortunate that people keep dismissing what you have to tell them. That must be super frustrating to have everyone think you're just trying to get attention.

    You seem to know the laws pretty well and you've already tried out a few things. I'll just mention your options/rights but some might be things you've expreienced/attempted.

    -Running away isn't illegal but housing someone under the age of 18 without guardian consent is illegal.

    -Shelters will follow up with guardians but obviously only if they have the proper information. What you choose to tell them is up to you.

    -You can call in an abuse/neglect report (because they keep kicking you out) by calling the state abuse hotling depending on your state. Contact us for those details.

    -If all else fails, you have the options of calling Justice for children 1800.733.0059 They help people that are in situations like yours when no one else takes their stories into consideration. I feel like they are only available Monday-Friday so you might have to wait a while before getting in touch with them.

    Also, if you are able and willing, you can call us at 1800.RUNAWAY so we can talk a little more about what else you might be able to do. Best of luck and we hope to hear from you soon.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove