+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adult run away :(

Adult run away :(

Hi, I need help. I am an 18 year old female. I am here because ii need a place to stay while I run away. My family wants to go to my home country (Yemen). I am afraid to go there becuz of the freedom that will be taken a way from me and possible marriage. I do have a friend who will pick me up wen my parents leave so that I dont have to go. However, I dont have any place to stay. I can't get out of the house yet to look for places to stay, so ii need a temporary place to stay until I find a roommate to share with and a decent job.

I have told my parents countless time about not going but they will make me. I have used every excuse and told them all my reasons, but they wont budge. The culture will not allow them to let me stay, its not right for a girl to stay alone.

Is there any place I can go and maybe have a temporary home?
    Please.

Super Moderator

Re: Adult run away :(

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out for support from the National Runaway Switchboard. We imagine this is not an easy time for you right now. It sounds like a very stressful situation for you. It seems that you are not for the idea of allowing tradition to take hold of your desire to live life on your own terms. It sounds like a lot to have to balance but imagine you might rather be doing so much more at your age. It seems you are interested in the opportunity to cool off a bit. Are you thinking of something more permanent?

There are options for what is called Transitional Living Programs (TLP) or an emergency shelter where you can stay for some time but not for long. You do have that option because you are old enough to sign yourself into a shelter. Shelters can help with what you are seeking. They provide career counseling and can help you find jobs but mainly for a place to get basic support and other resources. It sounds like you have friends you can count on in this time of need. Have you had the chance to speak with anyone with regards to your feelings?

We can also provide support to you directly if you were to give us a call here at 1800RUNAWAY. We are confidential and anonymous. Please call if you wish for us to provide you with resources for the shelters or TLPs in your area. Good luck and stay strong.

-NRS

I'm afraid ii cant call. My parents are always on me about who I'm calling and what I'm saying. They dont know that I am planning on staying here.

Do these programs cost? If so, how much?

I live in Detroit, Mi. And im afraid of living out in the streets.

I want something temporary, nothing permanent. Just enough time to get a job and find a place to stay. I want to be able to attend college, so just about 2 months or so.

&& ii have spoken to a few friends. One of them is helping me leave the house and the other ones can't help me because their parents wont allow them, so as if right now im alone in finding a place to stay.

Super Moderator

Hi,
    We are sorry that you are having such a tough time with your family and finding a place to stay. Since you cannot call us we can give you some different shelters in Detroit. They donít cost anything but there will still be rules you will have to follow while staying there; things like chores and curfew. Unfortunately we cannot give you an address but only the phone numbers. You may be able to look online at an address but it is good to contact the shelter before you go to make sure they have room and to verify that the address you may find is actually the shelter location and not just an office.
    The following shelters are in Detroit and can take in women your age:
    Alternatives for Girls
    (313) 361-4000

Covenant House
    (313)463-2000

Detroit City Rescue Mission
    (313) 993-4700

Salvation Army
    (313)537-2130

Again, you will have to find out if there is space available and they will also be able to tell you how long you will be able to stay. Again, if you can find a way to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY we can help you call out to shelters. We are free from any payphone so if there is a way you can get to a pay phone we are here 24/7.
    Good luck to you and stay safe.
    NRS

Thank you veryy much!

Super Moderator

Hi,
    You are very welcome and we hope that helps. Good luck again and call us anytime at 1800-RUNAWAY. Take care.

NRS

Unregistered

I'll help adult runaway

To the 18 year old whose family is going back to the middle east, I might be able to help you. I'm a 48 year old woman who came from the middle east back in the '70s. I understand the culture and what you are struggling with. I'm In Ohio and Will consider learning more to see if it's appropriate for me to help. I'm a safe person, no criminal record or anything. I have to adult kids in their 20s and I'm divorced.

Super Moderator

Re: Reply to Adult run away :(

Hello there,

It sounds like you have an idea of what this young person went through. It looks like this posting was from 2010, but we appreciate your kind words. There is also the Arab-American & Chaldean Council (http://www.myacc.org/) which we found in our referral database. It looks like they offer a variety of services and they are based in the Detroit metro area. They might be a resource for you if you are considering helping other young people at risk of going back to the Middle East without wanting to. Thanks again for your interest in our bulletin boards.

-NRS

+ Reply to Thread