+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: legal issues (runaway, 15, pregnant)

legal issues (runaway, 15, pregnant)

I am 15 years old and i just found out that im pregnant, newly moved to Houston, TX and the father of my baby is down south of Texas. Im planning to tell my parents but i dont think that im going to be here that long because my mother said that if i get pregnant soon then she will beat it out of me so i am so scared of putting my child in danger so im planning to leave by greyhound bus to live with my boyfriend (16). I am willing to stay at his house because his mother accepts that i can stay until we can figure out what to do. but the thing that's haunting me are the legal issues... i would appreciated if you can just answer these questions:

1. will i get in trouble with the police/law for running away to protect my baby no matter how long the trip is to do that?
    2. can my mom get the cops to take me back home if she finds out where i am? (she doesnt know where my boyfriend lives but she can always find out.)

Super Moderator

Re: legal issues (runaway, 15, pregnant)

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like there is a lot going on in your life right now. We are sorry to hear that your mother has threatened to beat you if you become pregnant. You donít deserve to be threatened that way and you certainly have the right to be safe at home. No one should physically hurt you or your pregnancy. Have you ever thought about telling anyone about your motherís threats? Has she ever physically hurt you before? Is there anyone you feel comfortable talking about this with? If you want to, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We can keep things confidential and anonymous, so we wouldnít have to contact the police or social services. But, if you wanted, we could also help you file a report as sometimes it can be scary to do that on your own.

From what you wrote, it sounds like you have a pretty clear plan on how you want to run away. Have you thought about how you might pay for a greyhound ticket to get to your boyfriendís house? Or, once you are there, do you know how you will survive? Would you like to continue your education? We hope that if you do choose to leave home you are able to stay safe and sometimes thinking about all of these sorts of questions can help. What else do you think you might need to plan for?

You asked us whether or not your mom can call the cops about you running away and if you could get in trouble for running away to protect your baby. Running away isnít usually considered ďillegalĒóitís what is considered a status offense (i.e. you arenít supposed to do it because of your age). But, your legal guardians can still contact the police and file a runaway report on you. This means that you could be picked up by the police. While you might not be arrested, they might pick you up and contact your legal guardian. However, many different factors can affect whether or not you get in trouble. The laws are different in different areas and so it is hard to predict whether or not you will face any legal consequences for running away. If you would like to find out more about the laws in your area, you could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We might be able to find information specific to where you will be or we could also provide you with legal referrals. Planned Parenthood is one organization that might be able to give you some information on what your rights are as a pregnant teen. Their national number is 1-800-230-7526. If you call that number you will be automatically routed to the Planned Parenthood nearest you.

It sounds like you have a lot of important decision to make and that you are trying to face them head on. If you ever need someone just to talk to or any help discussing the pros and cons of certain choices, we are here 24/7!

Good luck!

im not entirely sure about texas but i work for the police department in california for about a year and a half now. i had the same situation when i was 15 but in california the rules are you can't parent a parent. wich means since you have a child you can be automatically emancipated if you want, if you dont you can still live with your parents and they cant kick you out so even though your gonna have a baby and it will be hard its gonna be a win win situation for you

Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing your experiences with a similar situation. While some states are like how you described "you can't parent a parent", not all states have laws such as this. Many states still consider youth minors even after they have their own children. But others will automatically emancipate a youth if they have a baby. The best way to find out such information would probably be to contact local law enforcement or a local legal aid hotline to find out a pregnant/parenting youth's rights.

Unregistered

Confused Minor

NEW MEMBER IN NEED
    I am also 15 and pregnant and i plan on running away from my sisters home to live with my boyfriend who recently gain custody because i cant take the abuse and drama and segregation anymore my life is hell my boyfriend has been there for me EVERY STEP OF THE WAY and my family doesn't except him they dont know im pregnant but telling them will make it worse my sister gets money for me and my other sister who is 13 350 a piece every month and she uses it on her self and my other sister they are 20 and 18 to lazy to get jobs i think if she makes us go find our own food and fend for ourselves why do we still live with her none of our other family memebers on my mom side wants to take us my fathers side are to far away and out of contact my mother died when i was 5 my dad is battling in court for his rghts back. Is it right to leave til then? How will i be able to tell my dad? Should i just stay with my boyfriend and his family until i have the baby and have no choice but tell my dad? Email me your responses. PLEASE i NEED some advice
    Last edited by ccsmod5; 05-24-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Super Moderator

re: confused

Hello,

Thanks for continuing this thread and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very intense situation and the people who are supposed to be supporting you, arenít. But itís good to hear that youíre not alone and your boyfriend is a person you can be with and trust. How long have yíall known one another?

And there probably isnít a right answer for the things you need and what youíre going through. What weíre hearing is that your sister is supposed to be providing and caring for you and sheís not. And because of that it sounds like youíre going elsewhere to get your needs met and thatís with your boyfriend.

The good part is that youíre thinking well and youíre wanting to be safe. The bad part is that youíre a minor and it might be difficult for you to leave without her permission. Thereís also a chance your boyfriend can get into trouble because itís illegal to harbor a runaway. So if your sister files a report that you ran from home, your boyfriend might get charges pressed upon him. However, it sounds like you are the victim here; youíre being neglected.

People who are neglected have rights and have the option of talking about it. Do you have a social worker or someone you can talk to if you ever have needs that arenít being met? If you do, THAT would be the person you can talk to because someone should know that youíre sister is neglecting you. Thatís considered a form of abuse so if you donít have a social worker you can call your state and abuse hotline and file a report.

Other than those few things, it sounds like itís important for you to be safe so if you need any resources, please let us know what city/state we can provided shelters/support centers for you. There are places that can and want to help.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Unregistered

help.

Well Idk how to use this and I have a question. I have a baby and I'm the father and the mother lives with her grandparents but they have custody over her . Here parents don't like me and they keep me from my daughter and they try there hardest to keep me from the mother of baby. She wants to run away with me but I don't want to get into problems witht he law . She's 16 and I'm 18 we live in oklahomah and were both positive that her parents will get the law involved . I know running away isnt the best soulution but her familiy isn't worth loseing the familiy I have so Idk what to do I'm stuck .

Super Moderator
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard during this difficult time. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now with your girlfriend and her family; we are glad that you chose to reach out to us and hopefully, we can provide you with some resources. We are a confidential and anonymous crisis line that is available 24 hours a day.

In your message, you said that you and your girlfriend have a baby but your daughter lives with her mom who lives with her parents, right? But they wonít allow for you to see your daughter or your girlfriend? Weíre sorry to hear that there is so much going on right now. Unfortunately, we arenít legally trained here but we can provide you with some resources that may be able to provide you with assistance.

You said that you feel her parents will contact the police and get them involved if she were to run away. Since she is a minor, they have the legal right to do that. But, running away isnít illegal; it is considered a status offense. What that means is that if your girlfriend were to run away and her parents filed a report, the police would contact them or return her home if she were located. Unfortunately, since you are 18 and therefore considered an adult, there is the possibility that you could get in trouble for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

We have provided you with some legal aid resources that are located in OK and they may be able to answer questions regarding your legal rights to your daughter. Since we donít know exactly where in OK you are located, they are throughout the state. If you would like additional resources or assistance, we are available 24 hours a day.

There is an agency that is located throughout Oklahoma and their toll free hotline number is 1-800-299-3338 and their website is www.legalaidok.org. This will connect you with the offices throughout the entire state.

You or your girlfriend can also contact us here if you have additional questions or need additional resources. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.

~NRS

unknown

idk what to do

hey im 14 about to be 15 in three days me and my boyfriend are the exact same age so in three days it'll be our birthday im not completely sure if im pregnant or not i find out on my birthday if i am but my mother told me that if i am pregnant she was going to press charges on my boyfriend and make me have an abortion but one thing that i would not ever do in the entire world is have an abortion but she said she was going to make me so im trying to find a way i can leave and live with my boyfriend if i do get pregnant and she tries to make me have an abortion i dont kno if she can make me or not and i dont wanna get in trouble by the cops for running away does anybody have any advice anything will help me please

Super Moderator

RE: idk what to do

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We are sorry to hear about the way things have been going. It sounds like you want to run away if you are pregnant because you donít want to be forced to have an abortion. Itís unfortunate that you have to decide between staying at home and having a child that you want; those seem like some very tough decisions for anyone to have to make. To determine if your mother can press statutory charges against your boyfriend, you may contact your local police department or legal aid for the most accurate information. You may also contact your local legal aid in regards to your rights in regards to forced abortions.

In general, running away is not illegal and is considered a status offense. Parents are allowed to file runaway reports which are entered in a national Police database. Generally speaking, when a Youth come into contact with Police, the Youth is returned home without facing any criminal charges.

If you are in need of a safe place, please feel free to give us a call. We can also conference calls to social service agencies to try and help you obtain more information. Our hotline is available 24 hours 7 days and can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential, anonymous, and toll-free. We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes

~NRS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast