+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Im 17 and I want to move out of my house without parents consent

Unregistered

I'm 17 and wanna move out

My living condition isn't physically abusive but it is mentally to the point where I feel like I'm just no good to anyone and I wanna just end everything. As a child I had a pretty bad childhood. My grandma has been trying to get it where I can live with her when i was littler. My mom has already had child protective services called on her before, my grandma said I am more then welcome to live with her. Do you think that's possible if I went to the police and explained it to them? My grandma would even let them keep all the money that she would get for me.I live in michigan and I just wanna leave, I'm 17 I should be happy, not crying myself to sleep every night.

Super Moderator
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling your story. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now and it was very brave of you to contact us. Now, we arenít legally trained here so we wouldnít be able to tell you specifically what would happen but we can definitely give you some ideas of what might happen.

It sounds like you are currently living with your mom and she is mentally abusive towards you. We are sorry to hear that; nobody deserves to feel unsafe or sad at home. You also mentioned that CPS had already been involved; what happened with them?

Again, we arenít legally trained here so we wouldnít know for sure what would happen if you called the police. In most states, once you turn 18, you are considered a legal adult but some states recognize that if a youth is very close to 18. That means that the police may tell you itís ok to live with your grandma but they may also say that you have to stay home until you turn 18. Also, if you leave before you are 18, your mom may have the option to file a runaway report with the police.

We are sorry if this all seems confusing or frustrating but we want you to have as much information as possible before you make a decision. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you would like to call and talk more about whatís going on. We can also help you make conference calls to agencies or the police if you would like. Our hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); we also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) if you would like to contact us that way instead.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS

Unregistered

Hi , I'm 17 and I want to move out without my parents consent.

I'm having to many problems at home and my parents are very over protective and they also treat me like if I'm worthless and invisible. My parents always call me names and treat me like crap and so on .. I'm tired of living here. I've ran away like 4 times this year and my mom chose my father over me so I got sent to Houston, Texas with my aunt for almost 3 months. I came back about a month ago and the same things I was getting put through is coming back again. I don't want to live with any family relatives , I just want to move in with my boyfriend and his family . I already talked to them and they said that they support me and that I can live with them. I just need to leave legally but I know my parents won't let me leave so , what can I do?

Super Moderator

Re: Im 17 and I want to move out of my house without parents consent

Thank you for reaching out to us, we're glad that you did. It sounds like youíve been going through a tough time and youíre frustrated. Since you mentioned your parents won't let you legally leave home right now, there may be other options that you can try to make the situation a bit better, for now. There are services available that can provide family counseling for you and your parents, if thatís something youíd like to try. There is also the Kinder Emergency shelter in Houston if you feel that is an option. They provide a variety of services in addition to shelter which you can find out more about here: http://www.hc-ps.org/services_provided.htm

If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can help locate additional resources in your area. Weíre available 24/7 to listen talk through any concerns you may have; please feel free to call us anytime. You can also reach us by Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30 to 11:30 pm CST. Simply visit our main page, www.1800runaway.org and click on the red "Live Chat" button.

Unregistered

Need to leave

hello..i have just recently turned 17 and im ready to move out..sense i was four i have been taking care of my two brothers and my very sick mother. i have been struggling with depression for a few years now and this school im attend isnt helping any with me being bullied. in the past few months i have attempted suicide and every time my brother has found me before i have died. my mother is always telling me i need to grow up and stop being a thorn in her side. i feel as if im not wanted here anymore and to be honest i cant take it!!!!. a few weeks ago i went and stayed about a month with my boyfriend in indiana and i found a job, a car, and he has his own house. i feel as if me moving in with him would be the best thing for everyone, but my mom just now decided to be a real mother and she wont let me leave. i have tryed to explain to her that things will be better but she doesnt want to listen. i have read somewhere that me being 17 if i was to leave they could not report me as a runaway, my mom told me if i leave she will call the cops saying i have ran away and if that doesnt bring me home she will call saying my 20 year old boyfriend has kidnapped me....i dont know what to do i can not continue being unhappy and wishing for death.. i need to prove to her that she raised a hard working young women and that i can take care of myself...how do i go about this without hurting everyone i love? and dont think im doing this for the boy...ive been wanting to do this for years hes just helping

Super Moderator
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us what is going on. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation right now and it was very brave of you to contact us. Unfortunately, we arenít legally trained here so we wouldnít be able to tell you exactly what would happen but we can give you some general ideas about what may happen.

It sounds like you have recently turned 17 and youíre thinking about moving out to live with your boyfriend. It also sounds like you have been taking care of your brothers for a very long time on top of having depression and being bullied. Thatís a lot for you to have to deal with and we are sorry to hear that is going on. You said that the school isnít helping you any about the bullying; can you tell us more about what you have tried so far? There is a great website, www.stopbullying.gov, which can help you find resources and give ideas about people you can talk to. It also sounds like you have attempted suicide but your brother found you. Again, we are sorry to hear that all of this is going on. If you are feeling suicidal again, you can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). You can also call us here and we can talk with you also.

You mentioned that you are thinking of leaving to go live with your boyfriend in IN but you have some concerns because your mom has said she would call the police. Again, we arenít legally trained here but we do have some general ideas about what might happen. Generally speaking, if you are under 18 than in most states, you are considered to be a minor. That means that your mom may have the option to file a runaway report with the local police but the report would go into a national database. Also, she may have the option to press charges against your boyfriend since he is over 18. Unfortunately, we donít know what exactly would happen but you may be able to call the local police and ask them what they would do. If that is something you would like to explore but you are nervous about calling yourself, we can help you make a conference call to them. We can also help you find other resources such as legal aid, counseling or shelters if you are interested in any of those. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through live chat from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) if you would rather talk with us that way.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

Unregistered

I am a 17 year old I live in Pennsylvania. I live in a very stress full environment. I do not want to go to a home and I would like to be out on my own. Can I move out at 17 without parental consent? I have no parents only a legal guardian. I am willing to get a job and pay for everything myself. Is there any number I can call for help? Or is there anything I can do to be out on my own?please please help with my situation.

Super Moderator

Re: I'm 17 and I want to move out of my house without parents consent

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a hard time right now. You mentioned that you live in a stressful environment and that you would like to leave. We are here to support you in any way that we can.

You asked if you could move out without parental consent. In the state of Pennsylvania, a 17 year old is considered a minor. If you leave your home without permission, your guardian can report you as a runaway, and you might be made to return home. You cannot be charged with a crime just for leaving your home, but you should know that if you move in with someone else, they could be charged with harboring a runaway.

Have you thought about where you would live and what your plan is for moving out? If you would like to talk about your situation in greater detail, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. All of our services are completely anonymous and confidential. We could help you work out what your next steps will be, answer any questions that you might have, and provide you with any resources in your area that might be helpful to you, such as legal support, shelter, or counseling. Our hotline is open 24/7. You can also reach us through our live chat service at www.1800RUNAWAY.org between the hours of 4:30 and 11:30 pm Central time. We are here to listen and support in any way we can. We are looking forward to talking to you!

Best of luck,
    NRS

Unregistered

17 need help moving out

Hi. I'm 16 but I'll be 17 in 2 months. I used to live in Georgia and was very happy there with all of my friends and my boyfriend-now fiancť. My father moved me to Tennessee because he bought some land to put our 4 horses on. We have a lot of animals, and he puts them before me and my mother. They fight constantly and I've found myself resenting my father for dragging me here against my will and when I try to talk to him about moving back, he yells at me. My fiancť is 18, we've been having a long distance relationship for a year now and it has strained our relationship. He is getting a place of his own within the time I will turn 17 and he wants me to move in with him. I have planned every detail out of how to make it work, except for how I would be able to if my father says no, which he more than likely will. My mother knows my intentions and I have shared my plans with her, my father, however, does not know though I've been trying to slip hints about moving in with my fiancť. Is there any way I could move back to Georgia with my fiancť without getting into trouble with the law?

Super Moderator

RE: 17 need help moving out

Hi there,

Thanks for posting here tonight. It sounds like youíre going through so much right now. It can be really tough to have a long distance relationship. Itís understandable that youíre frustrated with your dad and that you want to go to live with your fiancť. And yea, the law is difficult to guide through, so it was smart of you to reach out for some guidance. Letís see how we can help you out.

So we are not legal experts here, but we are able to generally talk through what might happen. In general, you are considered a runaway if you leave home without your parentís permission before you turn 18. However, in many states, if you decide to runaway at 17, the police will not take a runaway report from your parents. If the police donít take a runaway report, you will not be forced to come back home. If they do take a report, then they may force you to return. For 17 year olds, it is rare for the police to actively search for you. But if you interact with them (get pulled over, arrested), they may return you.

If youíve never been arrested before, it is not illegal to runaway. The most that would happen is that you would be returned home to your parents. At 18, the runaway report goes away and does not stay on your permanent record.

Many people in your situation try and get permission from both parents before deciding to leave. Do you feel that may be an option? Maybe thinking about some ways to approach your dad with the conversation might help.

We understand that we talked about a lot of information. If youíd like to discuss it further, you can contact us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely confidential and anonymous. If you canít call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to chatting or talking with you.

Best of luck,

NRS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast