Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: im 17 and i want to run away, could my parents call the cops and have me arrested?

Unregistered

im 17 and i want to run away, could my parents call the cops and have me arrested?

im 17 and i want to run away. i have so many problems at home with my mother. i just cant take the verbal abuse anymore and the threats to send me to live with other relatives. i want to get out of school, get my high school diploma early like a 6 month program but i am scared she is going to try and send me away and i wont have any say since im a minor. could she call the cops on me if i ran away and have me arrested? i live in florida.

Super Moderator

Re: im 17 and i want to run away, could my parents call the cops and have me arrested

Thanks so much for contacting us and telling us a bit about your situation. It sounds like there are some issues going on at home and more specifically with your mother. How long have you been dealing with this? Does your mom have any idea how you have been feeling? We are sorry to hear that all of this is happening and no one deserves to feel like they are being verbally abused at home. You mentioned that you are at the point where you are want to leave but you are concerned for what your mom might do. In most states the age of majority, when a youth is considered an adult, is 18. However, there are many states (sometimes it depends on the city or county) that have discrepancies between the age of majority and the age a youth is considered a runaway. For example we often hear that while the legal age of majority is 18, in some states at 17 the local police no longer take runaway reports or make the youth return home if they leave without permission. A possible option may be to contact the local police in your area to find out what is the most accurate information for how they proceed with this type of situation. Some questions you may want to specifically ask areÖ

*At what age is a youth no longer considered a runaway?
    *If a 17 y/o leaves home without permission, do you still take a runaway report?
    *If yes: what happens if/when that youth is found?

It sounds like you are going through a really tough time right now and Iím so glad you reached out to us. If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth please feel free to give us a call at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). While we cannot give you specific advice, there is always someone here to listen, provide support, discuss options, and find resources. Take care and feel free to give us a call anytime.

Unregistered

idk

im also 17 and i will be 18 in july and i just gout out of my parents (with promission)we had to be out of the house in a few days and now my mom wants me to come clean the whole house while she lays in bed but i got promission from my dad and mom to live where i am now but she keep badgering me and stuff but when i lived their i always did everything around the house why she laid in bed.i dont know if i can be tookin away from where i am the place i am now is stable and always has food and im well tookin care of is their is anything she can do?

Super Moderator

idk

Hello,

We’re glad you decided to contact us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are dealing with an incredibly difficult situation and that you’re handling it the best you can. We imagine it is stressful knowing your mother and dad are going to be evicted as well as being asked to clean. It sounds like you are a strong person who is trying to do everything you can to keep your environment healthy and stable.

We’re not sure exactly what your parent’s plan is after the eviction and what your mom can do as far as you being out of their care might depend on how your city/state views 17 year-olds. One option would be to contact your local police or sheriff’s department (or have someone else call for you if it makes you more comfortable.) If you are able to contact us directly by phone or by chat, we can even make that outgoing call for you. We can be reached 24/7 by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and from 4:30 to 11:30 pm CST through our Live Chat. To chat with us, simply click on the red “Live Chat” button and it will explain what to do from there. We wish you best of luck and hope that helps!
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 02-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Unregistered

Im ready to move out. Can I get charged with anything for just leaving?

I'm 17 I live in the state of Georgia. Im having problems with my mom she just yelled at the whole family at a get together. The whole family left and she is cussing me and my brothers she is always in this mood. I think she is back on drugs but I don't want to confront her. But what I'm getting at is that I have a place to go with food and clothes to put on my back.. If I just move out then can my mom press any charges? I'm 17 years old and live in ga. When I move I will only be two miles down the road.

Super Moderator

Re: Im ready to move out. Can I get charged with anything for just leaving?

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us on our bulletin boards. Sounds like there's a lot of stuff going on at home and you're trying to find a comfortable and safe place to live. That's not much to ask for but it's a complicated situation because you're still 17.

If you were to go somewhere so you did have clothing and shelter, where would you go? You said it'd be very close to home...how would your mom feel about you going there and how long could you stay?

In most states the legal age of adulthood is 18. That means that you can decide where to live without the police/social services getting involved. The best way to find out if you're clear of those reprocussions would be by calling your local police (non emergency) and asking at what age a youth can decide where they want to live. That might answer your question about your mom getting you arrested: it's not illegal to run from home and want safety somewhere but if your mom make a runaway report with the police, you could potentially get picked up and returned home. It's hard to say but some police do respond that way and some just take the report and don't follow up.

Since you're feeling like you can't be at home and you just want a safe place, there are sometimes some shelters where you can live without the fear of getting arrested or returned home. You said you lived in Georgia...in what city in GA do you live? If you wanted we could provide you with some shelters where you could go and talk about what's going on at home. In some cases you migth want to speak with social services (they are the ones that decide who you are legally allowed to live with) and if they see it fit that your mom is not a safe person to be with, they might grant custody to someone else (potentially the people you want to stay with) as so long as they're safe, over 18 and stable.

If you'd like to explore this some more and talk about shelters or issues of custody, our hotline is available 24 hours a day and you can reach us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best of luck,
    NRS.

Unregistered

run away

my parents have been vorbaly abusing me and i ranaway from home three time i ranaway yesterday could i get arrested for running away from home

Super Moderator
    Hello,

Thanks for posting the details of your situation on the bulletin boards. Sounds like you're experiencing a lot of stuff at home and you needed to leave to get away from that.

We're sorry to hear your parents are verbally abusing you. How long has this been going on and what kinds of things are happening when they verbally abuse you? Does anyone else know what's going on at home? How are they helpful or not?

From what we know, running from home in most states isn't illegal. It's considered a status offense and usually you can't get arrested for that. If you're older than 17 then you should be allowed to leave home with any reprocussions.

If you want to explore this some more and tell us what else is happening at home we can explore things that might be available to you depending on your situation. You can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're anonymous, confidential and available 24/7.

Hope to hear from you soon. Best of luck.

Unregistered

the impasse

Hello. I'm 17 and I've been having a disagreement with my mom about visiting a friend in need for a while now. I live in Virginia, but my friend lives in Texas. She does not want me to visit them because she thinks my friend's mom would try to have me arrested or put in a hospital. She only thinks this because I threatened suicide one and my friend's mom did call the police because she thought I had already overdosed. My mom doesn't trust my friend's mom, but she also refuses to get to know her. My friend needs me and I need them. I'm getting increasingly agitated at my mother for refusing to understand or let me visit. I'm at the point where I'm considering running away. I heard that in Texas once you're 17 the cops do not take you back home or try to punish you. I was wondering if that was true and how that would work since I am living in Virginia at the moment.

Super Moderator

re: the impasse

Hi,
    Thanks for coming to us here at the National Runaway Switchboard. So sorry to hear all the things that you have been going through and that your mom is not being as supportive as you would like through all of this.
    Do you think that your friends mom would be willing to call out to your mom to try and speak with her more about what is going on? It sounds like your mom may be scared for your own safety being that you would be traveling quite a distance. Is there a way you may be able to go with someone else that your mom approves of to get down there?
    As far as legally being able to be in Texas at 17, since we are not legal experts we don't have the authority to give you a definite answer on that. The only way to really be sure is to talk to the local police about it. You have the option of calling out to them anonymously to ask any questions that you have. Or you can give us a call and we can help you do that. There also may be legal resources we could provide you with if you are more comfortable talking with someone like that.
    Whatever the case may be, we would really like to be able to further help you in this situation. It sounds like you are stressed out and we're here to talk with you about all of this. If you can give us a call anytime, we're available at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our chat from 4:30-11:30pm CST every day. We hope to hear from you soon so we can continue talking with you and help you in whatever way we can.
    Good luck to you,
    NRS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast